Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Who was Anscar Vonier?



Abbot Vonier "was the most gifted dogmatic theologian writing - and preaching - in England in the inter-war years."  He is also the author of "A Key to the Doctrine of the Eucharist," a book which Avery Cardinal Dulles, SJ said "should never be out of print."  I just ordered my copy.  You can order yours by clicking on the "My Favorites" widget to the right.  That way (assuming I set it up correctly) Amazon will share a tiny fraction of the proceeds with me, at no additional cost to you.
 
Incidentally, many years ago I had the good fortune to be introduced to Avery Dulles.  Fr. Dulles was at lunch in a Jesuit residence, and surrounded by admirers.  He appeared to suffer rather than welcome this attention.  Fr. Dulles was tall and thin and wore a white dress shirt which had been ironed sufficiently to remove most, though by no means all, of its wrinkles.  I suspect the ironing had been done by Fr. Dulles himself.   He was courteous, though not effusive.   Though our meeting was over in minutes, I knew afterwards that Fr. Dulles didn't attract crowds to himself just because he was famous.  Fr. Dulles, in his quiet, courteous way, was also a holy man.

No comments:

Post a Comment