Thursday, October 20, 2011

Wisdom from St. Therese of Lisieux, Part 3

                                 St. Therese, St. Patrick's Church, Trim, Co. Meath, Ireland

We celebrated the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux on October 7th.  The following is taken from St. Therese's journal, published under the title "The Story of a Soul."   This episode from St. Therese's youth will perhaps impress upon parents the importance of selecting their children's reading and entertainments with great care:

"When I read stories about the deeds of the great French heroines - especially of the Venerable Joan of Arc, I longed to imitate them and felt stirred by the same inspiration which moved them.  It was then that I received one of the greatest graces of my life, for, at that age, I didn't receive the spiritual enlightenment which now floods my soul.  I was made to understand that the glory I was to win would never be seen during my lifetime.  My glory would consist in becoming a great saint!  This desire might seem presumptuous, seeing how weak and imperfect I was and still am, even after eight years as a nun, yet I always feel the same fearless certainty that I shall become a great saint."



St. Therese of Lisieux, pray for us.






No comments:

Post a Comment