Thursday, October 6, 2011

Wisdom from St. Therese of Lisieux

                                                                "St. Therese of Lisieux" by Inigo Hicks

On Oct. 4 we celebrated the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux.  The following is taken from St. Therese's journal, published under the title "The Story of a Soul :"

Love alone attracts me.  I no longer wish for either suffering or death and yet both are precious to me.  For a long time I've hailed them as messengers of joy.  I've already known suffering and I've thought I was approaching the eternal shore.  From my earliest days I have believed that the Little Flower would be plucked in the springtime of her life.  But today my only guide is self-abandonment.  I have no other compass. I no longer know how to ask passionately for anything except that the will of God shall be perfectly accomplished in my soul.  I can repeat these words of our Father, St. John of the Cross:  "I drank deep within the hidden cellar of my Beloved and, when I came forth again, I remembered nothing of the flock I used to look after.  My soul is content to serve Him with all its strength.  I've finished all other work except that of love.  In that is all my delight."

Or rather: "Love has so worked within me that it has transformed my soul into itself."


St. Therese of Lisieux, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment