Friday, November 4, 2011

Vision of Purgatory

                                                           Virgin with Souls in Purgatory (18th century)

The Church devotes November to prayer and sacrifice on behalf of the the suffering souls in Purgatory.  The following description of a vision of Purgatory is taken from the diary of St. Faustina (1905 AD - 1938 AD):


" ...I saw my Guardian Angel, who ordered me to follow him.  In a moment I was in a misty place full of fire in which there was a great crowd of suffering souls.  They were praying fervently, but to no avail, for themselves; only we can come to their aid.  The flames, which were burning them, did not touch me at all.  My Guardian Angel did not leave me for an instant.  I asked these souls what their greatest suffering was.  They answered me in one voice that their greatest torment was longing for God.  I saw Our Lady visiting the souls in Purgatory.  The souls call Her “The Star of the Sea”.  She brings them refreshment.  I wanted to talk with them some more, but my Guardian Angel beckoned me to leave.  We went out of that prison of suffering. [I heard an interior voice which said] ‘My mercy does not want this, but justice demands it.  Since that time, I am in closer communion with the suffering souls.’” (Diary, 20)

Here is a short prayer that may be said on behalf of the souls in Purgatory: 

Grant Poor Souls eternal rest, O Lord, and let perpetual light
shine upon them. May they rest in peace.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment