Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pope Francis on the name of Jesus

"Holy Face,"  Georges Rouault (1871 AD - 1958 AD)


From a recent homily by Pope Francis (courtesy of John Thavis):

The pope related a story from his days as archbishop in Buenos Aires:
"A humble man works in the curia of Buenos Aires. He has worked there for 30 years, he is the father of eight children. Before he goes out, before going out to do the things that he must do, he always says, 'Jesus!' And I once asked him, 'Why do you always say 'Jesus'?'  'When I say' Jesus '- this humble man told me - I feel strong, I feel I can work, and I know that He is with me, that He keeps me safe.'”
The pope continued: “This man never studied theology, he only has the grace of baptism and the power of the Spirit. And this testimony did me a lot of good too, because it reminds us that in this world that offers us so many saviors, it is only the name of Jesus that saves.”

No comments:

Post a Comment